Judicial Assistants Pilot Scheme
- The Commercial Court will be running a second Commercial Court Judicial Assistant Pilot Scheme in association with the Commercial Bar Association (“COMBAR”) between October 2018 and July 2019. There will be two phases: October 2018-February 2019 and March 2019-July 2019. In each phase three Judicial Assistant places will be offered.
- This scheme is open to all tenants in commercial practice in their first five years of practice following the successful completion of pupillage. It is not limited to members of COMBAR sets.
- The deadline for applications has been extended to 5pm on Tuesday 17 July 2018. The notes for applicants and application form can be found below.
- The default position is that applicants will be considered for both phases. It is open to applicants only to make themselves available for the earlier or the later phase; but that may obviously diminish their chances of being successful in obtaining a placement.
- Applications will be reviewed and shortlisted for interview on an anonymised and “Chambers-blind” basis. Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed by a panel of Commercial Court Judges in the week of 23 July 2018. Successful applicants will be notified by email on or before 31 July 2018.
- The first pilot of the Judicial Assistant Pilot Scheme (run January to July 2018) has proved a great success, with very positive feedback both from the Judicial Assistants and the judges involved. The scheme continues to be a high priority for the Commercial Court and for COMBAR, and it is hoped that, following this second pilot, it may be possible to put it on a permanent footing. It is considered that this will play a significant role in both supporting the work of the Commercial Court and in the development of younger members of the Commercial Bar.
- As with the first pilot, successful candidates are expected to be of outstanding quality, in line with the prestigious nature of the position.
- The administration of the scheme and the selection of candidates will be undertaken by the Commercial Court. Successful applicants will receive an award of £18,000 for the six-month period. This funding will be provided by COMBAR.
c Commercial Court Judicial Assistants Pilot (Phase 2): Notes for applicants
- size: 0.11MB
Commercial Court Judicial Assistants Pilot (Phase 2) - Application form
- docx |
- size: 0.02MB