A new Justice Centre, with first class facilities, was formally opened in Aberystwyth by the Lord Chief Justice today.
Aberystwyth Justice Centre brings together in a single location magistrates’, civil and tribunal hearings in West Wales.
The location of the Centre at Y Lanfa was identified as an existing building which, following redesign and refurbishment, could support the complicated access, security and segregation requirements of a modern Justice Centre. The Centre takes over the workload of the former Magistrates’ Court and County Court in Aberystwyth.
Luigi Strinati, Delivery Director for HMCTS Wales, said:
‘Aberystwyth Justice Centre demonstrates our commitment to ensuring that courts and tribunals users in Wales have access to a justice system fit for the 21st Century.
‘The justice centre provides superior accommodation and better facilities for victims and witnesses.
The Lord Chief Justice, Lord Judge said:
“I am delighted to be able to open this new Justice Centre today, which will enhance the administration of justice in Wales.’
Facilities at the new court complex include:
- 2 formal courtrooms, one with a secure dock and the capability for video conferencing
- 2 flexible hearing rooms
- A modern, dedicated and secure custody unit
- A layout designed to provide access for all
- Dedicated witness service facilities.
The building has been designed to be environmentally friendly in order to help meet government energy targets. For example, the main courtrooms, internal public areas and the main office have all been specially designed to be ventilated using the external air without the need for mechanical cooling. The mechanical systems are only used when weather conditions prevail.
Notes to editors:
- Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunals Service is responsible for the administration of the criminal, civil and family courts and tribunals in England and Wales and non-devolved tribunals in Scotland and Northern Ireland. For more information visit: www.justice.gov.uk/about/hmcts/index.htm
- Aberystwyth Justice Centre is located at Y Lanfa, Trefechan, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 1AS. For full contact information.
- Turner and Townsend were appointed by the Ministry of Justice to manage the Y Lanfa refurbishment project. The architects were HoK Ltd. and, following a competitive tender process, the successful contractor was Kier Western.