- The Senior President of Tribunals hereby approves that an appropriately trained member of staff appointed under section 40(1) of the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007 or section 2(1) of the Courts Act 2003 and designated as a ‘Tribunal Caseworker’ by the Chamber President, may carry out the functions of the War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Chamber of the First-tier Tribunal set out in paragraph 2 below.
- A Tribunal Caseworker may exercise such functions as the Chamber President specifies from time to time, from the range of functions that can be exercised by a judge of the War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Chamber, provided that the Tribunal Caseworker:
- does not make any substantive final decision;
- exercises their functions under the supervision of a judge, and
- exercises their functions in accordance with such guidance as is issued by the Chamber President.
- In accordance with rule 4(3) of the Tribunal Procedure (First Tier Tribunal)(War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Chamber) Rules 2008, within 14 days after the date that the Tribunal sends notice of any decision made by a Tribunal Caseworker pursuant to an approval under this Practice Direction, a party may apply in writing to the Tribunal for the decision to be considered afresh by a judge.
The Rt. Hon. Sir Keith Lindblom
Senior President of Tribunals
14 December 2020