Council of Her Majesty’s Circuit Judges
Part 7 criminal procedure rules: Observations of the criminal sub committee of the council of HM circuit judges:
- Supports the initiative to clarify and simplify the procedure for the commencement of proceedings in a Magistrates Court.
- In practical terms, will deal with the way in which criminal process is instituted. It does not appear that any of these proposals makes a significant difference to the practices that are currently in place.
- Agrees with the proposal that each of the three ways in which proceedings may commence in a Magistrates Court.
Response South East Circuit Presiders
Letter showing reply on on behalf of the SE Circuit PJJ:
- lists responses to specific questions of the consultation and,
- supports all the proposed changes.
The Judicial Policy and Practice Committee response to the proposal, includes list of general questions and the Committee’s responses.
- Supports simplifying the procedures to make it easier for the general public to understand what is happening in court, provided that it does not compromise justice.
- The same rules should also apply to different tiers of the system whenever possible.