Abdalla -v- University College London (anonymity order)
Case Number: H72YX545
In the County Court at
9 May 2023
Her Honour Judge Baucher
Dr Filipe Batoni Abdalla
University College London
Before Her Honour Judge Baucher sitting at the County Court at Central London, Thomas More Building, Royal Courts Of Justice, Strand, London, WC2A 2LL.
Upon hearing Counsel, Ms Youshani, for the Claimant and Ms Johnson, one of His Majesty’s Counsel, for the Defendant
AND UPON hearing the Defendant’s application dated 21 February 2022.
AND UPON IT APPEARING to the Court that the case is likely to attract publicity and that revealing the identity of the person referred to in the Defence as B is likely to damage the interests of B and that, accordingly, publication of details revealing the identity of the individual ought to be prohibited
AND PURSUANT to s. 11 of the Contempt of Court Act 1981, common law principles of fairness and the Civil
Procedure Rules 1996, Rules 5.4A to 5.4D
AND UPON consideration of the Article 8 right to respect for private and family life of B and Article 10 generally AND UPON a member of the Press being present but making no objection to the application
And upon the parties confirming that neither Statement of Case contains any material that requires redaction, B already having been anonymised in the pleadings
IT IS ORDERED THAT
- Permission be given anonymise the proceedings so that B shall be used to identify the person referred to in the Defence by that cipher.
- There shall be no reporting or disclosure of the identity of the person referred to in paragraph 1 or of any information that may lead or reasonably be expected to lead to the identification of that person.
- So far as any judgment or order or any other document to which anyone might have access pursuant to CPR Rule 5.4A-D or any other provision at any time does not comply with the above, the parties’ solicitors have leave to file with the court copies of such document adjusted so as to comply therewith. Such copies are to be treated for all purposes as being in substitution for the relevant originals and the originals are then to be retained by the Court in a sealed envelope marked: “Not to be opened with the permission of a Judge”.
- A non-party may not inspect or obtain a copy of any document from the court file (other than this order and the Particulars of Claim and Defence – duly anonymised as directed) without the permission of HHJ Baucher. Any application for such permission must be made on notice to the Defendant (the Court will effect service).
- A non-party may not obtain any document from the court file unless it has been edited (anonymised and, if necessary, redacted) in accordance with this order.
- Costs in the case.
Dated 5 May 2023