Case Number: F90NE053
In The High Court of Justice
King’s Bench Division
Newcastle Upon Tyne District Registry
12 June 2023
His Honour Judge Freedman
(A Protected Party, By Her Litigation Friend LCY)
Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust
BEFORE His Honour Judge Freedman sitting at Newcastle upon Tyne District Registry, Newcastle Civil & Family Courts, and Tribunals Centre, Barras Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NEl 8QF
UPON hearing Counsel for the Claimant and the Solicitor for the Defendant
- Consideration of the Article 8 rights of the Claimant’s right to respect for private and family life, and the Article 10 right to freedom of expression
- It appearing that non-disclosure of the identity of the Claimant is necessary to secure the proper administration of justice and in order to protect the interests of the Claimant and that there is no sufficient countervailing public interest in disclosure.
- The Defendant indicating its neutrality to the making of the order and there being no representations from the press or any other interested party.
AND PURSUANT to Section 6 of the Human Rights Act 1998; Section 11 of the Contempt of Court Act 1981; and CPR Rules 5.4C, 5.4D and 39.2(4)..
WHEREAS for the purposes of this Order:
- ‘Publication’ includes any speech, writing, broadcast, or other communication in whatever form (including internet and social media), which is addressed to the public at large or any section of the public.
- Publication for the purpose of this Order includes any further publication (as defined in subparagraph (i) above) from the date of this Order, even if such information hos derived from a previous stage or stages of these proceedings.
BY CONSENT IT IS ORDERED THAT:
- The identity of the Claimant as a party to these proceedings is confidential and shall not be published.
- Pursuant to CPR Rule 39.2(4), there shall not be disclosed in any report of these proceedings or other publication the name or address of the Claimant or the Claimant’s Litigation Friend that could lead to the identification of the Claimant in these proceedings. The Claimant and the Litigation Friend shall be referred to as set out at paragraph 3 of this Order.
- In any Judgment or report of these proceedings, or other publication (by whatever medium) in relation thereto:
i. The Claimant shall be referred to as “ABX1 •
ii. The Litigation Friend shall be referred to as “LCY1 •
iii. Any other details which, on their own or together with other information publicly available, may lead to the identification of the Claimant (including any names of other immediate family members or their addresses) shall be redacted before publication.
- Pursuant to CPR Rules 5.4C and 5.4D.
i. A person who is not a party to the proceedings may not obtain a copy of a statement of case, Judgment or order from the Court records unless the statement of case, Judgment or Order has been anonymised in accordance with subparagraphs 3(i) to (iii) above.
ii. If a person who is not a party to the proceedings applies (pursuant to CPR r.5.4C(18) or (2)) for permission to inspect or obtain a copy of any other document or communication, such application shall be on at least 7 days’ notice to the Claimant’s Solicitor, Trustee or Deputy.
- The Claimant’s Solicitor shall file with the Court an electronic (PDF) bundle of the statement of case that has been anonymised in accordance with paragraph 3 above by 26 June 2023.
- The Court file shall be clearly marked with the words “An Anonymity Order was made in this Case on 12 June 2023 and any Application by a non-part y to inspect or obtain a copy document from this file must be dealt with in accordance with the terms of that Order• .
- Any interested party, whether or not a party to the proceedings, may apply to the Court to vary or discharge this Order, provided that any such app lica tion is made on 7 days’ notice to the Claimant’s Solicitor, Trustee or Deputy.
- Pursuant to the ‘Practice Guidance: Publication of Privacy and Anonymity Orders’ issued by the Master of the Rolls dated 16 April 2019 a copy of this Order shall be published on the Judicial Website of the High Court of Justice (www.Judiciary.uk) For that purpose, a
Court Officer will send a copy of the Order by email to the Judicial Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The provisions of this Order shall not apply to:
i. Communications between the Court Funds Office and the anonymised party in relation to the payment of money into the Court Funds Office for the benefit of the anonymised party or the investment or treatment of payment out of such money.
ii. Communications between the Court Funds Office, the anonymised party, and any financial institution concerned as to the receipt or investment of such money.
iii. Records kept by the Court Funds Officer, the anonymised party, and any financial institution col”lcerned as to the receipt of investment of the Claimant’s money.
iv. Retention by all parties to the claim, their representatives, and their advisers of their unredacted flies for the purpose of their continuing functions and obligations in relation to the proceedings.
v. Communications between the Defendant or their successors in title and their legal and professional advicers, reinsurers, HM Revenue and Customs (or its successor), the Compensation Recovery Unit or any other person required by law.
vi. Communications between the anonymised party’s representatives and advisers in managing that party’s affairs.
vii. Communications for the purpose of obtaining medical care, advice or treatment for the anonymised party.
- The costs of obtaining this Order be costs in the Case.
Dated 12 June 2023