Claim number: CO/2143/2023
In the High Court of Justice
King’s Bench Division
21 June 2023
Jason Coppel KC (sitting as a Deputy Judge of the High Court)
The King on the application of
Secretary of State for the Home Department
On the Claimant’s interim application
Following consideration of the documents lodged by the Claimant and the Defendant’s response by email dated 15 June 2023
ORDER by Jason Coppel KC (sitting as a Deputy Judge of the High Court)
- Pursuant to CPR r.39.2, in any report of these proceedings, there shall be no publication of the name and address of the Claimant, nor any other particulars likely to lead to their identification. In the proceedings, the Claimant shall be anonymised and referred to as “BXR”.
- The Claimant’s solicitors shall file with the Court copies of case documents which have been anonymised and/or redacted to protect the identity of the Claimant, in accordance with paragraph 1 above, within 7 days of this order.
- Non-parties may not obtain any documents from the court file which have not been anonymised and/or redacted to protect the identity of the Claimant, in accordance with paragraph 1 above.
- The Claimant’s application for interim relief shall be considered at a hearing listed on 27 June 2023 in CO/1665/2023. The time estimate for that hearing shall be increased to 3.5 hours.
- The Defendant shall serve a Skeleton Argument by 10am on 26 June 2023 which (a) addresses the Claimant’s application for interim relief and (b) summarises the Defendant’s proposed defence to this claim. Any evidence in support of the response to the application for interim relief shall be served along with the Skeleton Argument.
- At the hearing on 27 June 2023, the Court shall, in addition, consider (a) whether the issue of permission for judicial review in the present case can fairly be determined at that hearing, or should await the filing of an Acknowledgment of Service, and (b) whether directions should be made in the present claim to ensure its progress and determination alongside CO/1665/2023.
- There are obvious overlaps between the present case and CO/1665/2023 but whether it is appropriate for the claims to be formally linked and determined together will be more appropriately determined by the Court at the hearing on 27 June 2023.
- The Defendant does not oppose the anonymity order sought or the consideration of the Claimant’s application for interim relief at the hearing on 27 June 2023.