Case number: QB-2020-004209
In the High Court of Justice
Queen’s Bench Division
30 November 2021
His Honour Judge Lewis
Sitting as a Judge of the High Court
On the 30 November 2021 this court committed BRIDGET McDONAGH to prison.
An injunction granted by Mr Justice Foxton on 8 December 2021 included the following terms:
“1. The defendants are required by 4pm on 14 December 2021 to remove from the land any static caravans, mobile home and touring caravans.
- The defendants be prohibited (whether by themselves, their servants or agents) from:
- Bringing a caravan, a mobile home, or any other structure intended for or capable of habitation onto the land.
- Erecting on the land any structure of building capable of or intended to be put to residential use.
- Carrying out any works including but not limited to the laying of hard standing on the land
- Allowing any persons to take up occupation of the land”
The court found on 12 November 2021 that Bridget McDonagh had breached that order as follows:
- Between 19 April 2021 and 11 May 2021 in breach of paragraph 2(a) of the Injunction, D8 caused or allowed a touring caravan to be brought onto Plot 7;
- Between 19 April 2021 and 11 May 2021 in breach of paragraph 2(c) of the Injunction D8 caused or allowed: (i) a portable toilet block to be brought onto Plot 7; (ii) an awning was installed onto one of the touring caravans; (iii) additional metal fencing was installed to enclose a section of the plot.
- Between 11 May 2021 and 24 May 2021 in breach of paragraph 2(a) of the Injunction, D8 caused or allowed a touring caravan to be brought onto Plot 7
- Between 11 May 2021 and 24 May 2021 in breach of paragraph 2(c) of the Injunction, D8 caused or allowed further hardcore and/or road scalpings to be deposited on Plot 7.
And imposed the following sentences for those breaches:
- Breach (a): 1 month
- Breach (c): 1 month, concurrent to breach (a)
- Breach (b): 4 months, consecutive
- Breach (d): 1 month, consecutive
- Total: 6 months
And in addition, the court activated the suspended sentence imposed by Mr Metzer QC (sitting as a Deputy High Court Judge) on 12 February 2021 of five months.
Accordingly, it was ordered that Bridget McDonagh be committed for contempt to Her Majesty’s Prison at Bronzefield for a total period of eleven months or until lawfully discharged if sooner, and that a warrant of committal be issued forthwith.