Claim number: AC-2023-LON-00334
In the High Court of Justice
King’s Bench Division
17 November 2023
Dan Kolinsky KC sitting as a Deputy High Court Judge
The King on the application of
Norfolk County Council
On an application by the Claimant for various directions as set out below.
Following consideration of the documents lodged by the Claimant.
ORDER by Dan Kolinsky KC sitting as a Deputy High Court Judge
- The Claimant is to be anonymised for the purpose of these proceedings and shall be known as CTL.
- Pursuant to CPR 21.2(3) the Claimant is permitted to bring this claim without a litigation friend.
- The claim is expedited and time for the Defendant’s Acknowledgements of Service is abridged to 4pm on Monday 27 November 2023.
- Upon the Defendant having filed their Acknowledgment of Service or the expiry of the time within which it is due, whichever is sooner, the papers shall be passed to a Judge to determine the Claimant’s application for permission.
- Liberty to apply to vary or discharge this order upon providing 48 hours’ notice to the other party.
- Costs reserved.
- Given the Claimant’s contention that he is a minor, I am satisfied that granting anonymity is appropriate.
- Having regard to the witness statement of Martin Bridger dated 8 November 2023, I am satisfied that it is appropriate in the circumstances of this case to permit the Claimant to bring this claim without a litigation friend.
- I have abridged time for the acknowledgement of service because I am satisfied that there is some urgency to this matter. The age assessment report appears to be of significance. The claim explains why this document is important and the obvious difficulties for the Claimant in contending that he should be treated as a minor when he does not have access to this assessment. I am satisfied that it is appropriate, fair and proportionate (especially given that the claim raises a short point) to require the Defendant to respond to this claim within an abridged time and indicate if disclosure of the assessment is resisted.
- If any material dispute continues, then permission to proceed with the claim should be determined as soon as possible after the Defendant has served their acknowledgment of service.
- The parties should inform the Court as soon as possible if the matters at issue in this claim become academic.