Claim number: CO/2156/2023
In the High Court of Justice
King’s Bench Division
20 June 2023
Jason Coppel KC (sitting as a Deputy Judge of the High Court)
The King on the application of
Luton Borough Council
On the Claimant’s interim application
Following consideration of the documents lodged by the Claimant
ORDER by Jason Coppel KC (sitting as a Deputy Judge of the High Court)
- The Claimant shall be referred to in the proceedings as DM.
- The identity of the Claimant as a party to these proceedings is protected and shall not be published.
- Pursuant to CPR Rule 39.2(4), there shall not be disclosed in any report of these proceedings or other publication the name or address of the Claimant, or details (including other names, addresses, or a specific combination of facts) that could lead to the identification of DM as the Claimant in these proceedings.
- In any judgment or report of these proceedings, or other publication (by whatever medium) in relation thereto:
(i) The Claimant shall be referred to as “DM”.
(ii) Any other details liable to lead to the identification of the Claimant shall be redacted before publication.
- The Claimant is permitted to conduct the litigation without a litigation friend (without prejudice to whether a litigation friend is required).
- The Defendant shall file and serve an Acknowledgment of Service within 7 days of the date of service of this Order.
- The Claimant’s applications for permission and for interim relief shall be allocated to a Judge for consideration on the papers within 7 days of the date of filing of the Defendant’s Acknowledgment of Service.
- On the basis of the materials provided by the Claimant, the Defendant has not yet engaged with the threatened claim and the claim itself, and it is necessary in light of the subject matter of the claim that it do so urgently.
- Thereafter, given the potential implications of the Claimant being accommodated as an adult rather than as a child, it is appropriate that the applications for permission and for interim relief be considered urgently.