Claim number: CO/922/2023
In the High Court of Justice
King’s Bench Division
14 March 2023
The Honourable Mr Justice Andrew Baker
The King on the application of
Secretary of State for the Home Department
On an application by the Claimant for urgent consideration, for directions in relation to his claim for interim relief, and for anonymity
Following consideration of the documents lodged by the Claimant
ORDER by the Honourable Mr Justice Andrew Baker
- The Defendant shall file and serve a written response to the application for interim relief by 4 pm on Friday 17 March 2023.
- The Claimant shall be at liberty to file and serve a written reply to the Defendant’s response served pursuant to paragraph 1 above, by 4 pm on Monday 20 March 2023.
- The papers are to be placed before a judge on or as soon as possible after Tuesday 21 March 2023, for urgent consideration of whether to grant any interim relief without a hearing and/or whether to order an expedited hearing of the application for interim relief (with such further directions as the judge may consider appropriate for such hearing).
- The Claimant is granted anonymity within the proceedings, and is to be referred to as ‘JMX’.
- Liberty to either party to apply to vary or set aside this Order, on 48 hours’ notice.
- Costs reserved.
The application for interim relief is urgent, and in general terms I agree with the appropriateness of the directions sought for its expedited determination. However, I do not consider it is realistic or appropriate to require the Defendant to respond within 24 hours, or before the bail review (on paper) by the First-Tier Tribunal set for Thursday.
I have therefore directed a response from the Defendant this week, with a right of reply on Monday, with a view to the application being given further consideration on the papers next week.