LXM -v- Chief Constable of Cumbria Police (anonymity order)
Claim No: QB-2021-003290
In the High Court of Justice
Queen’s Bench Division
4 October 2021
Chief Constable of Cumbria Police
UPON READING an application notice by the Claimant dated 26 August 2021
AND UPON consideration of the Claimant’s Article 8 right to respect for private and family
life and the Article 10 right to freedom of expression
AND UPON IT APPEARING that non-disclosure of the identity of the Claimant is necessary
in order to protect the interests of the Claimant
AND PURSUANT to rule 39.2(4) of the Civil Procedure Rules and section 11 of the Contempt
of Court Act 1981 and rules 5.4C and 5.4D of the Civil Procedure Rules
IT IS ORDERED that
1. The identity of the Claimant is not to be disclosed.
2. The Claimant be described in all statements of case and other documents to be filed or
served in the proceedings and in any judgment or order in the proceedings and in any
report of the proceedings by the press or otherwise as “LXM”.
3. The address of the Claimant be stated in all statements of case and other documents to
be filed or served in the proceedings as the address of the Claimant’s solicitors.
4. In so far as is necessary, any statement of case or other document disclosing the
Claimant’s name, address or any other information making the Claimant identifiable
already filed in the proceedings be replaced by a document describing such information
in anonymised form as above, or redacted.
5. The original of any such document disclosing the name or address of the Claimant is to
be placed on the Court file in a sealed envelope marked “not to be opened without the
permission of a Judge or Master of the Queen’s Bench Division”.
6. A non-party may not inspect or obtain any copy statement of case or other document
from the Court file unless it has been edited (anonymised) in accordance with this
7. Any application for permission to inspect or obtain any copy statement of case or other
document from the Court file must be made on notice to the Claimant and the Court will
effect service. The file is to be retained by the Court and marked “Anonymised”.
8. Reporting restrictions apply as to the disclosing of any information that may lead to the
subsequent identification of the Claimant. The publication of the name and address of
the Claimant or of any member of the Claimant’s immediate family is prohibited.
9. The Claimant do by 18th October 2021 draw and file this Order and serve the same on
10. The Defendant may apply under rule 23.10 to have this Order set aside or varied.
11. Any non-party affected by this Order may apply on notice to all parties to have this
Order set aside or varied.
12. Costs in the case.