MFW -v- Leicestershire County Council (anonymity order)
Media and Communications ListAnonymity Order
Claim No QB-2020-002179
In the High Court of Justice
Queen’s Bench Division
Media & Communications List
8 July 2020
(Children of SGK, their Father and Litigation friend)
Leicestershire County Council
UPON the Application of the Claimants dated 25 June 2020
AND UPON the Defendant having confirmed in writing (by its email of 11 June 2020) that it
has no objection to the terms of this Order.
AND UPON the Claimants being minors and requiring the Court’s approval of an infant
settlement pursuant to CPR 21.10
AND UPON READING the witness statement of Matthew Barclay dated 9 January 2020
AND UPON CONSIDERATION of the Claimants’ Article 8 right to respect for private and
family life, and the Article 10 right to freedom of expression, the public interest in open justice
and section 12 Human Rights Act 1998
AND WITHOUT A HEARING
AND PURSUANT to section 11 Contempt of Court Act 1981, section 6 Human Rights Act
1998, CPR Rule 39.2 and CPR 5.4A to 5.4D
IT IS ORDERED that:-
1. The requirement (set out in CPR 16PD paras 2.2 and 2.6) that a Claimant must provide
his/her address in the Claim Form be dispensed with. The Claimants are permitted to
issue the Claim Form using the anonymised letters “MFW”, “CRS” and “HJH” and
providing their solicitors’ address.
2. The Claimants’ names and their residential address are to be set out in a Confidential
Annex to the Claim Form. The Confidential Annex is to be retained by the Court in a
sealed envelope and marked: “not to be opened without the permission of a Judge or
Master of the Queen’s Bench Division of the High Court.”
3. There be substituted for all purposes of this case, in place of references to the three
Claimants by name, and whether orally or in writing, references respectively to the
letters MFW, CRS, HJH. Likewise, the Litigation Friend shall be referred to as SGK
and the Claimants’ mother shall be referred to as YKA.
4. A non-party may not inspect or obtain a copy of any document from the court file
without the permission of a Master. Any application for such permission must be made
in writing and on notice to the Claimants.
5. A non-party may not obtain a copy of any statement of case or document from the
court file unless it has been anonymised in accordance with this direction and there
has been redacted any information which might identify the Claimants, their Litigation
Friend or the Claimants’ mother.
6. There shall be no publication or other disclosure of any name, address or information
tending to identify the Claimants, their Litigation Friend or their mother.
7. Any non-party affected by paragraphs 1-6 of this Order may apply on notice without
restriction of time for an Order varying or setting aside this Order.
8. Costs in the case.