MGR and others -v- Chief Constable of Kent Police (anonymity order)
Case Number: H66YX435
In the County Court at
6 January 2023
His Honour Judge Freeland KC
(2) E.W.M. (A CHILD)
(3) S.B.M.R ( A CHILD)
(4) A.S.A.R (A CHILD)
Chief Constable of Kent Police
Before His Honour Judge Freeland KC sitting at the County Court at Central London, Thomas More Building, Royal Courts Of Justice, Strand, London, WC2A 2LL.
UPON hearing counsel for the Claimant and solicitor for the Defendant.
AND UPON considering the Claimant’s Application Notice dated 18 March 2022.
AND UPON IT APPEARING the case is likely to attract publicity and that revealing the identity of the Claimants is likely to unfairly damage the interests of the Claimants and that, accordingly, publications of details revealing the Claimants’ identity ought to be prohibited.
AND PURSUANT to sl 1 Contempt of Court Act 1981 and CPR Rule 5.4a to 5.4d and CPR Rule 39.2(4).
AND UPON consideration of the Claimants’ Article 8 right to respect for private and family life and Article 10 rights.
IT IS ORDERED that:-
- There be substituted for all purposes of this case, in place ofreferences to the Claimants by name, and whether orally or in writing, references to the letters E.W.M (Second Claimant), S.B.M.R (Third Claimant) and A.S.A.R (Fourth Claimant). Likewise, the Litigation Friend shall be referred to as M.G.R.
- To the extent necessary to protect the Claimants’ identity, any other references, whether to persons or places or otherwise, be adjusted appropriately, with permission to the Parties to apply in default of agreement as to the manner of such adjustments.
- So far as the Claim Form, or any Judgement or Order, or any other document to which anyone might have access pursuant to CPR Rule 5.4a-d at any time does not comply with the above, the Claimants’ solicitor has leave to file with the Court copies of such documents adjusted so as to comply with this Order. Such copies are to be treated for all purposes as substitutions for the relevant originals. The unedited originals are then to be filed by the Court in a sealed envelope marked: “not to be opened without the permission of a Judge”.
- A non-party may not obtain any copy statement of case or document from the court file unless it has been edited (anonymised) in accordance with this direction.
- Reporting restrictions apply as to the disclosing of any information that may lead to the subsequent identification of the parties. The publication of the name and address of the Claimants and his or her immediate family and also (if not already covered) the name of his or her litigation friend is prohibited.
- Any non-party affected by this Order may apply on notice to set aside or vary this Order.
- The costs of the application are costs in the case.
Dated 6 January 2023