MT and LT -v- Royal Mencap Society (anonymity order)
High CourtKing's Bench DivisionAnonymity Order
Claim Number: QB-2022-001243
In the High Court of Justice
King’s Bench Division
7 November 2022
(A Protected Party By Her Litigation Friend Mr LT)
Royal Mencap Society
UPON consideration of the Claimant’s Article 8 right to respect for private and family life and the Article 10 right to freedom of expression;
AND UPON the Court being satisfied, pursuant to CPR 39.2(4) that an order in the terms below is necessary in order to protect the interests of the Claimant and there is no sufficient countervailing public interest in disclosure;
AND PURSUANT to section II of the Contempt of Court Act 1981 and rules 5.4C and 5.4D of the Civil Procedure Rules;
IT IS ORDERED pursuant to section 11 of the Contempt of Court Act 1981, section 6 of the Human Rights Act 1998, CPR 5.4B to D and CPR 39.2, as follows:
- The Claimant and her Litigation Friend shall be referred to in these proceedings as “MT” and “LT” respectively.
- There shall not be disclosed in any report of the proceedings the name, address or picture of the Claimant, or of the Claimant’s Litigation Friend, or any member of her family, nor any information which is liable to or might lead to the identification of the Claimant, her Litigation Friend, or any member of her family.
- There shall be substituted for all purposes in these proceedings, in place of references to the Claimant or her Litigation Friend by name, references to “MT (a Protected Party)” and “LT” respectively.
- Persons other than the parties to these proceedings shall be prohibited from inspecting or obtaining copies of any statement of case, judgment or order, or any other document from the court records unless the same have been anonymised as set out above, the addresses of the Claimant and her Litigation Friend have been removed, and there has been redacted any information which might identify the Claimant or her Litigation Friend without further order of the Court. Any application for permission to inspect or obtain a non-anonymised version must be made on notice to the Claimant’s solicitors (Slater and Gordon Solicitors) in accordance with CPR 5.4C(6).
- Prior to any supply of any document from the court records to a non-party, the names of the Claimant, and her Litigation Friend are to be anonymised in any such document by the substitution of initials as set out above, the deletion of their home addresses, and the redaction of any information which might identify the Claimant, or her Litigation Friend.
- Any person affected by any of the restrictions in this Order may apply to the Court to vary or discharge this Order (or so much of it as affects that person), but written notice of any such application and the evidence relied upon must first be given to the Claimant’s solicitors (Slater and Gordon Solicitors).