Claim No: QB-2021-003133
In the High Court of Justice
Queen’s Bench Division
Media and Communications List
24 March 2022
Amendment Date: 26 March 2022
Eliot Ward Higgins
ON THE APPLICATION OF Discreet Law LLP (“Discreet Law”) dated 16 March 2022 for an order for a declaration that it has ceased to act as solicitors for the Claimant (“the Part 42.3 Application”)
AND ON THE APPLICATION OF Discreet Law for the hearing to be held in private and for the Defendant to be excluded (“the Privacy Application”)
AND ON HEARING Solicitor-Advocate for Discreet Law
AND ON HEARING representations by Counsel for the Defendant and two members of the press in relation to the Privacy Application
AND UPON the Solicitor-Advocate for Discreet Law having stated to the Court that notice of this hearing was sent by Discreet Law by email to all addresses it possesses for the Claimant and any known past or present actual or (past or present) purported legal representatives of the Claimant pursuant to CPR42.3(2)(a)
THE COURT DECLARES (PURSUANT TO CPR42.3(1) THAT Discreet Law has ceased to be the solicitor acting for the Claimant
AND IT IS ORDERED THAT service of this Order shall be by Discreet Law on both the Claimant and the Defendant.
AND IT IS ORDERED THAT:
1. The Part 42.3 Application shall be heard in private and the Defendant shall be excluded from attending.
2. The Claimant may apply to set aside or vary this Order by application to be issued by 9 April 2022, but has liberty to apply to extend this date.
3. Any person who is not a party to the proceedings may apply to set aside or vary paragraph 1 of this order within 14 days of their learning of this Order. Such applicant must file evidence showing when they first learnt of this Order.
4. Discreet Law shall, as soon as reasonably practical after receipt of this sealed Order, serve by email, and First Class post, on all addresses it possesses for the Claimant, and any known past or present actual or (past or present) purported legal representatives of the Claimant, and whether inside or outside this jurisdiction, the following documents: (1) a copy of the sealed Order; (2) an informal note of the hearing; and (3) a letter (i) setting out the Claimant’s obligations under PD 42.5.1; and (ii) providing confirmation to the Claimant that the next hearing in this Claim is listed for 13 April 2022 (and with a copy of any notice of that hearing which Discreet Law has received from the court).
5. By 9 April 2022, Discreet Law must file a Certificate of Service in relation to paragraph 4, above, save that such Certificate of Service shall be treated as confidential and is not to be disclosed to any third parties without the permission of the court and subject to PD5.4.2A(e)
6. A copy of this order shall be published pursuant to CPR39.2(5) on the website of the Judiciary of England and Wales.