PXL -v- Mr Jason Anthony Reed (anonymity)
CLAIM NO. G00LE123
IN THE HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE
QUEEN’S BENCH DIVISION
LEICESTER DISTRICT REGISTRY
14 October 2020
PXL (a protected party proceeding by his partner and litigation friend, TYH)
Mr Jason Anthony Reed
BEFORE His Honour Judge Hedley sitting pursuant to Section 9 of the Senior Courts Act 191 as a judge of the High Court (Queen’s Bench Division) in the Leicester District Registry on 14th October 2020.
UPON hearing Leading Counsel for the Claimant, Mr Adam Weitzman QC, and Leading Counsel for the Defendant, Charlie Cory-Wright QC who appeared by video;
AND UPON consideration of the Claimants’ Article 8 right to respect for private and family life and the Article 10 right to freedom of expression.
AND UPON IT APPEARING that non-disclosure of the identity of the Claimant and the Litigation Friend is necessary in order to protect the interests of the Claimant.
AND PURSUANT to rule 39.2(4) of the Civil Procedure Rules and section II of the Contempt of Court Act 1981 and rules 5.4C and 5.4D of the Civil Procedure Rules.
IT IS ORDERED:-
1. That the identity of the Claimant and the litigation friend are not to be disclosed.
2. That the Claimant and the Litigation Friend be described in all statements of case and other documents to be filed or served in the proceedings and in any judgment or order in the proceedings and in any report of the proceedings by the press or otherwise as:
(a) PXL for the Claimant
(b) TYH for the litigation Friend
3. That the address of the Claimant and the Litigation Friend be stated in all statements of case and other documents to be filed or served in the proceedings as the address of the Claimants’ solicitors.
4. That in so far as necessary, any statement of case or other document disclosing the Claimant and the Litigation Friend’s names and addresses already filed in the proceedings be replaced by a document describing such name or address in anonymised form as above.
5. That the original of any such document disclosing the name or address of the Claimant and the Litigation Friend is to be placed on the Court file in a sealed envelope marked “not to be opened without the permission of a Judge, Master or District Judge of the Queen’s Bench Division”.
6. That a non-party may not inspect or obtain a copy of any document on or from the Court file (other than this order duly anonymised as directed) without the permission of a Master or District Judge. Any application for such permission must be made on notice to the Claimant and the Court will effect service. The file is to be retained by the Court and marked “Anonymised”.
7. That reporting restrictions apply to the disclosure of any information that may lead to the subsequent identification of the Claimant and the Litigation Friend. The publication of the name and address of the Claimants or of any member of the Claimant’s immediate family name and address is prohibited.
8. The provisions of this Order shall not apply:-
(i) to communications between the Court Funds Office and the anonymised party or Litigation Friend in relation to the payment of money into the Court Funds Office for the benefit of the anonymised party or the investment or treatment of payment out of such money;
(ii) to communications between the Court Funds Office and/or the anonymised party or Litigation Friend and any financial institution concerned as to the receipt or investment of such money; or
(iii) to records kept by the Court Funds Office or the anonymised party or Litigation Friend or any such financial institution in relation to such money.
9. That any non-party affected by this Order may apply on 28 days notice to all parties to have this Order set aside or varied.