Case No: CO/4659/2022
In the High Court of Justice
Queen’s Bench Division
13 December 2022
The Honourable Mr Justice Dove
Secretary of State for Defence
Secretary of State for the Home Department (interested party)
On an application by the Claimant for abridgement of time
Following consideration of the documents lodged by the Claimant
- The Secretary of State shall be added as an Interested Party to this case.
- Pursuant to CPR Part 39.2 these proceedings shall be anonymised and shall hereafter be referred to as R(KO) v Secretary of State for Defence; no report of these proceedings by any person shall directly or indirectly identify the Claimant and failure to comply with this direction could lead to contempt of court proceedings; no party shall be afforded access to the documents filed in this case without an order of the court.
- The Defendant and the Interested Party shall file and serve their Acknowledgment of Service by 4pm on 29th December 2022.
- The papers in this case shall be placed before a single judge for the consideration of the question of permission to apply for judicial review following receipt of the Acknowledgement of Service as soon as possible after 3rd January 2023.
- Costs reserved
- I am satisfied that there is urgency in this case in the light of the circumstances of the Claimant in Afghanistan and the need for a resolution of the issues raised. These circumstances also justify anonymising these proceedings together with making orders to protect the anonymity of the Claimant.
- I have adjusted the dates in the order to attempt to address the days when the court office is closed. It appears that there is justification for the Secretary of State for the Home Department to be joined as an Interested Party given her involvement in the decision making process in the case.