Claim No: QB-2021-004710
IN THE HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE
QUEEN’S BENCH DIVISION
The Chief Constable of Cumbria Police
UPON READING an application notice by the Claimant dated 31 December 2021
AND UPON consideration of the Claimant’s Article 8 right to respect for private and
family life and the Article 10 right to freedom of expression
AND UPON IT APPEARING that non-disclosure of the identity of the Claimant is
necessary in order to protect the interests of the Claimant
AND PURSUANT to rule 39.2(4) of the Civil Procedure Rules and section 11 of the
Contempt of Court Act 1981 and rules 5.4C and 5.4D of the Civil Procedure Rules
IT IS ORDERED that
1. The identity of the Claimant is not to be disclosed.
2. The Claimant be described in all statements of case and other documents to
be filed or served in the proceedings and in any judgment or order in the
proceedings and in any report of the proceedings by the press or otherwise
3. The address of the Claimant be stated in all statements of case and other
documents to be filed or served in the proceedings as the address of the
4. In so far as is necessary, any statement of case of other document disclosing
the Claimant’s name, address or any other information making the Claimant
identifiable already filed in the proceedings be replaced by a document
describing such information in anonymised form as above, or redacted.
5. That the original of any such document disclosing the name or address of the
Claimant is to be placed on the court file and marked “confidential: not to be
opened without the permission of a Master or High Court Judge”
6. A non-party may not inspect or obtain any copy statement of case or other
document from the Court file unless it has been edited (anonymised) in
accordance with this direction.
7. Any application for permission to inspect or obtain any copy statement of
case or other document from the Court file must be made on notice to the
Claimant and the Court will effect service.
8. Reporting restrictions apply as to the disclosing of any information that may
lead to the subsequent identification of the Claimant. The publication of the
name and address of the Claimant or of any member of the Claimant’s
immediate family is prohibited.
9. The Claimant shall file this Order and serve the same on the Defendant.
10. The Defendant may apply under rule 23.10 to have this Order set aside or
11. Any non-party affected by this Order may apply on notice to all parties to have
this Order set aside or varied.