The Civil Justice Council has approved the creation of a Costs Working Group.
The working group will consider four areas:
- A review of Costs Budgeting
- A review of Guideline Hourly Rates (GHRs)
- Examination of costs under pre-action protocols/portals and the digital justice system
- Consideration of the wider impact of the extension of Fixed Recoverable Costs (FRC)
The work will be overseen by a steering group. The steering group will liaise with a wider working group composed of representative interests, as necessary throughout the process.
The working group has launched a public consultation, which will run until 14 October 2022 at 12pm. Read the full consultation paper online (PDF).
Responses to the consultation should be submitted online by file upload (external link).
For ease, a copy of the consultation questions is available as a word document (Word doc).
- Birss LJ (Deputy Head of Civil Justice)
- Joanna Smith J (High Court Judge)
- Master Amanda Stevens (Queen’s Bench Master)
- HHJ Nigel Bird (Circuit Judge)
- DJ Judy Gibson (CJC & Regional Costs Judge)
Wider Working Group
- Judge Gordon-Saker (Senior Costs Judge)
- DJ Simon Middleton (Regional Costs Judge)
- Master Kaye (Chancery Master)
- Nicholas Bacon (Costs Barrister)
- Nicola Critchley (CJC & Defendant solicitor)
- Brett Dixon (Claimant solicitor)
- Larry Shaw (CILEx)
- Jack Ridgway (Costs Lawyer)
- Robert Wright (Ministry of Justice)
- Elisabeth Davies (CJC & Consumer Interest)
- Paul Seddon (Legal Aid Practitioners Group)
- Andrew Higgins (CJC & Academic)